It’s funny how things come around.
Years ago, when I first became a Nutritionist/Dietitian, (goodness, it was over 20 years ago!), we used to say that the whole lemon in water idea was nonsense.
Over the years, however, we have been able to get an idea of just how good a glass of lemon water can be.
A glass of water with a squeeze of lemon in it can:
- make you drink more water – win/win
- add some vitamin C to your morning- this brings with it all the benefits that come with your antioxidants (anti-inflammatory, anti-ageing, illness prevention)
- help if you have a cold or are prone to phlegm build up in the night
- aid digestion. This is the flavenoids working.
- reduce appetite at a meal, (if that’s what you are after)
- if taken near a meal, can reduce the GI of the meal.
I visited a restaurant in France where, at the end of the meal, they brought a HUGE post of water boiled with lemons to each table. This was for everyone to have a glass after the meal “for the digestion”. Apparently this has been done for many many years in the area.
If anything, it was delicious xxx
- If you are having lemon water regularly, watch your teeth- The drink is acidic……give your mouth a good rinse after drinking , use a straw and/or make sure you brush BEFORE the drink rather than straight after.